The Ordnance Survey map of the Vienne drawn up in 1894 locates the “Gué de la Biche” far upstream and some 2 km north of the Lussac bridges.
At the end of the 16th century, Gregory of Tours described the battle between the armies of Clovis, King of the Franks and Alaric, King of the Visigoths, which took place in 507: “When Clovis and his army reached the Vienne, the king could not tell where to cross the river, since it was in flood due to the rain that had fallen. In answer to the king’s prayers, God sent a great hind, which by Divine Providence entered the river and the king, seeing the animal fording the water, then knew where he could get his people across the Vienne… The armies fought… There was a terrible battle and the river ran red with the blood of the fallen Visigoths, whilst sarcophagi rained down from the sky for the burial of the bodies of all Clovis’s soldiers who fell in battle”.
A more rational explanation for the necropolis of Merovingian sarcophagi is perhaps the presence of a baptismal pool in which elderly sick catechumens came to receive a belated baptism during the early Christian era in the Poitou region.
This circuit is one of 15 circuits known collectively as "Le Gué de la Biche", located in the Lussac-les-Châteaux, Civaux and Mazerolles area.
- Difference in height
- 91.03 m
- 91 meters of difference in height
Add a review
There is no review about The Ford Of The Hind / Circuit 7, be the first to leave one !